The name of God.

      I read something that has been on my mind a lot lately. God spoke to Moses at the burning bush.  Exodus 3:14 says “And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”  

     In Hebrew God’s name is written as YHWH.   In an explanation I read of why the English Bible says the name of God is the Great “I Am” is that “YHWH” is not pronounceable without vowels. With no vowels, you are left with only breath.   “YH” is the sound of an inhaled breath, and “WH” is the sound of an exhaled breath. 

     What does that mean?  With your first breath at your birth, you said God’s name. With every breath since then you have called out his name, and you will say his name with your last breath. 

      In my mind, I find that thought comforting. This is someone else’s interpretation of a Bible Verse that I can’t read, because I don’t read or speak Hebrew.  I don’t normally accept the words of another as is without adding my own interpretation of a Bible verse, but this feels right to me. 

      I do have thoughts about what this means. In moments of desperation, when I can do or say nothing but sigh, I am calling out the name of God in a loud voice. My sigh is an unconscious cry for God’s guidance that I never knew I was asking for.

     So when life leaves me no other option than to sigh, I need to stop and listen for God’s answer to my call for help. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Colorado Potato Beetle

Disciples among us.

Why am I here?