Smell this, remember that.

The weirdest thing about memories is how they smell. A smell can bring back some of your deepest seemingly forgotten memories. 

     I was in Walmart and walked though the produce section.  I stopped at the melons because one of them must have been on the verge of going bad. The strong scent slapped me all the way back to the early seventies.  

     I was still in Walmart physically, but I was mentally four years old and in Kroger’s when it was in the Broadway Plaza. I could see the RC cola in the basket of the cart above my head. My shoes aren’t the work boots I now wear every day. I’m wearing Buster Brown’s with one inch heels. I can’t see much else besides my green jeans, the white and chrome fronts of the coolers, and all the cracks in the white tile that threaten to break my momma’s back. 

     Ignoring the danger, she pushes on towards the canned goods. Spread along the way are toys and candy at eye level. Toy cars and boats hanging on strips of plastic catch my eye. It is probably where I got a little green and white boat that was my favorite toy for a while. 

     That smell will never go unnoticed because of that memory. The memories fade into the background, and I’m back In Walmart again.  Fifty years in fifty seconds. The time machine shuts down until another memory claws it’s way to top and screams, “Here I am!  Get your phone out and start writing!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colorado Potato Beetle

Disciples among us.

Why am I here?