Why we like to remember things.

I remember my first prize possession. My mom took a picture of me holding something in my hand when I was four. We were looking through some photo albums years later and saw this picture. She didn’t know what I was holding. I told her it was a little green and white boat. 

     I don’t know where it came from, but I loved that little boat. It was the most important thing in my life for a short while. It disappeared from my life soon after that picture was taken, but I can still see the green hull and white deck in my mind. I’ve never lost the boat in one of the sink holes that are slowly taking over parts of my long term memory as I grow older. 

     I guess these little stories about my family and my childhood are my attempts to outwit those sinkholes. The memories are still there, but it takes something to pull them out of the abyss. Something like a picture of skinny four year old holding a tiny toy boat usually works.

     Sometimes these memories tend to possess  you. In jr high we were shown filmstrips about safety in metal shop and wood shop. They were gory pictures of a hand that went through a planner or a saw, a finger that had been smashed by a hammer, or an arm that was sliced open by a piece of sheetmetal that wasn’t stored properly. 

      The pictures were always tinted green so the open wound and blood wasn’t red. I don’t know why the green tint eases the shock of seeing the gory scene, but it does. If it were in black and white, it would still be shocking, but green tint dulls it from “oh my God” to “eww.”

     I’m writing, well rewriting, a book about a piece of Native American folklore. I wrote a scene about the passenger in a car seeing the driver bathed in the green light of the dashboard and being reminded of those filmstrips. 

     The memories of mutilated hands and fingers tinted green is one memory that will never tumble into a mental sinkhole. I can’t get it out of my head, so I’m going to push it into a story and hope it takes a back seat to memories that I want in my head. 

    If the book ever sees the light of day, I can only hope the green scene will give the reader an idea of how many people think and feel the same way about many things. We’re all individuals, but share the many of the same traits with most human beings. 

    That’s the strange thing about sharing my memories. I read the comments that basically say I could be writing about their family instead of mine. Another is how my memories bring my family’s memories to the surface, and I hear my story from their point of view. 

     Sometimes it’s nice to relive a smile, a hug, or even a tear to remind you who you are and what made you “you”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colorado Potato Beetle

Disciples among us.

Why am I here?