Christmas torture…

Memories pop into my head when I least expect it. I have thousands of key words that will pull a joke or memory kicking and screaming from the deepest depths of my mind. 

     My sister, Lisa Sutton Eckelbarger, commented on one of my posts that I don’t write about her. Well, sis, this one is for you. 

     In 1983, my sister was a big fan of the cartoon series Shirt Tales. The Shirt Tales were talking animal crime fighters. The messages on their shirts changed to reflect their thoughts. 

     Hardee’s was offering a set of five stuffed shirt tales by selling one a week with a kid’s meal. My mom and dad forced me to eat there every Thursday for five weeks. It was cruel and unusual punishment. I could eat more than that. 

     When I collected all five, they decided it would be for Christmas. I don’t know where mom hid them, but I told her to let me handle wrapping them. I wrapped a dozen boxes inside of each other.

     When Christmas Day arrived, she picked up the box and tore it free from its paper prison. She opened the box to find a smaller box. She tore into it eagerly. With each box she found inside of another, the excitement waned. 

     Finally, the last box contained an envelope containing a note that said, “look in the closet.”  She ran into the bedroom and opened the closet to find the five shirt tales lined up on a shelf. The excitement from the first package returned. 

     Who knew that torturing a ten year old with boxes could be so much fun?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colorado Potato Beetle

Disciples among us.

Why am I here?